I announced Sunday that the “smart thing” to do right now as a church would be to get one of those cheesy thermometer graphics on the screens and start raising/saving money for a “Building Fund”. Sometimes the “smart thing” is not the “right thing” when it comes to living a life of faith. Besides, we’ve never done the “smart thing” as a church…and we’re not about to start now. :-)
Here’s what I think we should do instead. First, Keep praying and asking God about our next venue. (Not forgetting to thank him for our extended time at Club 19!) Second, Focus on OTHERS.
We’ve been asked as a church if we would consider gathering/ purchasing winter coats for kids who do not have them in the York City School district. When we asked how many coats they could use the answer was 500! Yeah seriously 500… I never even imagined that many kids could not have proper winter coats…in York City alone. It’s a big “ask”…a really big task. A project that will really stretch us as a church. Our plan is to take coats to schools each week instead of gathering them all for some sort of big “presentation”. (It’s getting Cold now…) This project will definitely be a decision to “do good…not just look good”. It will be a “no strings attached” moment of generosity for all of us who make up actionchurch.
Here’s what we all can do:
1. Purchase Children’s Coats when we go to the Big Box Store(s) for “supplies”. Consider leaving an Item out that we would normally purchase and purchasing a coat instead. (A child in York can be warm all year for the price of a DVD.)
2. Check Your Closets we want to give 500 LIKE NEW coats… Nothing ratty or worn out. Kids grow fast…so lots of us have perfectly great coats that are just hanging in the closet…too small but “too good to throw away”. Bring em!
3. Tell your Friends at work…at school. We will have tags to Give out for folks take to bring a coat. Consider leaving them out at your place of business to invite your friends to be part of the action….
4. Keep your Eyes open for Sales…Deals. See a super sale on Childrens coats and can’t afford to buy the whole rack? :-) let us know… Send us an email. info@actionchurch or post it in the comments. We’ll spread the word.
5. ????? There are ways to provide coats for our neighbors in York City that we have not thought of yet. Speak up…we’d love to hear your ideas!
6. Show up Sunday…bring coats…get tags…let’s get this thing kicked off.