I’ve had some questions and comments lately that have made me think about this question: “Since actionchurch is a “church for people who don’t like church”, and is focused on connecting with those who have “questions and conflicts” with the Creator…what does actionchurch have to offer “mature Christians”?
It’s a good question…and I understand why people would ask it. The truth is actionchurch does not “offer” a lot of things that a potential member would expect to find in a church.
- We don’t offer exclusive parking spots for members (this sign makes me want to “accidentally” run over it with my truck)
- …we don’t even offer “membership” for that matter.
- We don’t offer the opportunity for insiders to vote on every move of the church on boards and committees. (At actionchurch everyone votes with their feet and their wallets…if people stop coming…or stop “voting” yes for actionchurch with their financial donations we simply cease to exist. That’s how we “vote”!)
- We don’t offer long periods of musical “worship” Our bands and the songs they perform are supposed to direct our attention toward the main thought of the day… (sometimes we even accomplish our goal…but on any given Sunday it’s loud and “joyful”)
- We don’t offer Leadership positions based on resume or pedigree. (The Leaders of actionchurch are college students, unemployed, drive bread trucks, ride Harleys, are stay at home moms, computer “ninjas” etc… Some of our leaders have never before been involved or even regularly attended a church…they simply became Leaders by serving…kinda like Jesus and his disciples in the early church did…
- We don’t offer Brass plaques on stuff for donations…(we just say thanks…and then usually find a way to give it away…)
- We don’t offer “in depth Bible teaching” or “Deep Theological Sermons”…I just try to point people to a life of Following Jesus using the scriptures and the evidence of God in our culture and nature…(and no I have never been to seminary…as if you couldn’t tell)
- We don’t offer small groups (yet) or classes for “purpose driven cat lovers” (ever)
I’m sure I missed some things but the point is clear…actionchurch simply doesn’t offer most of the things church goers in America expect. So what do we offer someone who is a already a “mature” follower of Jesus. One thing…One simple (but rare) thing. actionchurch offers an opportunity to be part of a movement that actually connects with and serves those who are far from God! An opportunity to find the “lost sheep” that Jesus said were worth leaving the “99 others” to search for… to actually put the teachings of Jesus into “action“…
If that is an opportunity you are interested in …roll up your sleeves and join our little part of the revolution…