Okay, maybe not “everything”… but I was having a conversation with Josiah and some of the guys from The Recovery after church yesterday and I realized that starting a church is a LOT like being in a rock band.
- If you are going to attract a “following” you are going to have to do something “distinctive”…maybe not “original” (nothing really is) but distinctive enough to give them a reason to show up to hear you…
- It sounds like a lot of fun…and it is… but after a while it turns out to be a lot of work.
- Branding! Branding! Branding!…you can’t do enough to tell people “who you are”!
- You have to be able to deal with every one’s strengths, weaknesses, and “weirdness” if you are going to stay together.
- Everybody has their part…if they play to their strengths…the band and church are better off…
- Bass players rule! Sometimes the “instrument” that gets the least attention makes the band…or the church!
- Good band mates disagree…they may even fight…but the have each others backs like brothers.
- If you’re not “offensive” to someone…you are “selling out”!
I’m really thankful for my “band mates” at actionchurch and it’s not surprising that most of them have “band” experience…people used to ask when we first were promoting actionchurch “is this a “real” church or a band? I’m not sure exactly how to answer that question except to say that our goal is to introduce people to Jesus instead of just selling out shows…
Bonus Question: Do you recognize the Princes…or should I say “Princess’s” (hint) of Hair Metal pictured above???