I saw this pic over on Los’ blog (link) and it made me laugh and feel really sad/angry at the same time. First of all it’s sad that this is how one church ( one of many?) thinks they should tell people the “good news” of God’s kingdom plan for earth…
Secondly I think it perfectly illustrates the danger of “making lists” of “sins that God hates” instead of admitting the truth-that we are all sinners who deserve judgement.
- Note that murder didn’t make the list…but being a “sports fan” did?!?
- “Pot smokers” made the list…luckily I just switched to crack…
- What about Kyle Busch fans…how did they not make the list? Ooh I guess they were listed under “sports fans”.
- Note that “the list” includes mostly visible “outsider”sins not the “acceptable” church people sins of being unforgiving, bitterness, envy, arrogance, being judgemental….
- No mention of the “sin” of having too many “christian” bumper stickers on the back of your mini-van…I’m pretty sure that should make the list…oops…there I go…making my own “list”.
That’s the trouble with “lists”. They allow us to forget that our “job” is to Love our Neighbor as our self…and God’s “job” is to convict and judge sin… It never goes to well for us when we get those two things reversed